"An historic Italianate mansion located on Washington DC's exclusive Dupont Circle has come up for sale for the first time in more than half a century.
The 36,470 square foot Patterson Mansion is one of the most pedigreed in the country. Designed by Stanford White of the renowned architectural firm for the Chicago Tribune editor Robert Patterson and his wife Elinor 'Nellie' Patterson, daughter of newspaper publisher Joseph Medill, the property was built in 1901 and over the years hosted such luminaries as President Coolidge and aviator Charles Lindbergh.
From its debut, the Patterson Mansion became the social heart of Washington, where coveted invitations brought together prominent statesmen, politicians, journalists and industrialists.
The Patterson's loved to entertain and worked with White to create large social spaces complete with antique limestone fireplaces, crystal chandeliers, herringbone parquetry floors and historic tiger oak floors.
The house also boasts the first enclosed garage to have been built in Washington DC, according to the listing agent, Jonathan Taylor of TTR Sotheby's International Realty.
Owned for the past 52 years by the private Washington Club, a private social club, the four-storey white marble and glazed terracotta home sits on a third of an acre. It has 16 bedrooms, eight full bathrooms, seven half-bathrooms, a grand ballroom with 14-foot ceilings, library, auditorium, an elevator and parking for 10 cars.
Nellie Patterson left the house to her daughter, Eleanor 'Cissy' Patterson, who continued to use the home for entertaining. In 1927, when the White House was undergoing renovations, President Calvin Coolidge and his wife Grace stayed there for the summer.
Cissy Patterson, a leading light in Washington society and one of the first women to head a major newspaper, also welcomed renowned aviator Charles Lindbergh into her home after he completed the first-ever non-stop flight from New York to Paris that same summer.
Following Cissy Patterson's death from heart attack in 1948, the house became the property of the American Red Cross, to whom she had bequeathed it.
The Red Cross sold the property to the Washington Club in 1951. The Washington Club, the oldest private women's club in the district, is disbanding and therefore selling the residence.
According to Sotheby's International Realty, the mansion is the only surviving example of the grand mansions that once crowded Dupont Circle.
The mansion was designated a Washington D.C. historic site in 1964 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972."